Tuesday, December 20, 2011

the flight

I left you today, love
though perhaps you didn’t notice.
I never left my bench,
never transgressed the garden wall.
still – for a moment – I was
as far from you as the first star.
I planned my escape as carefully
- as painstakingly – as any prisoner.
I crafted my wings from your stolen letters,
from clips and tape left unnoticed on the desk.
I hid my rings (they were too heavy)
in my shoe at the toe
like the mouse we once found
nesting there.
I took off my clothes and opened my chest
(how the rusted hinge cried out!
- I thought for certain
you would hear it).
I wanted to leave behind my heart (it was too heavy),
like the rings, like the shoes, freed for flight
but there was no place safe to hide it.
nor would the door – opened - close again
 like a broken shutter
vulnerable, caught by the wind.
did you notice?
did you hear?
I will tell you, love
(though you did not ask me
-though you found my creased wings
torn and folded in the bin)
why did I return?
always I the felt the weight of my heart in flight
the cold and
the stars and the hazy purple twilight
swirling in my open chest
and I was afraid.
I saw your face – as distant from me as the last star
and then . . .
something drew me back.
something drew me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment