Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Letter to My Love . . .

Dear Writing:


I think I need a little space. You see we’ve been together since I was very young. At least since I was eighteen I’ve been working continuously on a novel – nights, weekends – I even take you with me on vacation. And here’s the thing – you’re all I think about and maybe it’s a little unhealthy. You know, obsessive.

Even when I’m not writing, I think that I should be writing. Then, I feel guilty. It’s a special poignant guilt that I save just for our creative relationship.

So I need six months to think about some things. You know, figure myself out. Try some new things that don’t involve you. Who knows? Maybe I like to paint. Maybe I’ll cook more and redecorate the house. Then, of course, there’s always my kids and my full time job. I could work on that too.

I realize we just finished a huge project together. Two years on my last novel. Wow. And you were super patient and great with me the whole time. But that doesn’t change things. In fact, maybe that’s the reason why I need this break. Just six months, before we charge into that next project we’ve been talking about.

I hope you understand. It’s not you. Of course you don’t need this break. It’s me.

Love,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment